Friday, January 10, 2014

Getting Ready

I am getting ready to fly from one end of the Pacific to another. A journey of over 5,500 miles to the other side of the planet. Everything I have heard from artists who have been invited in years past has solidified my resolve to go. "Life changing experience," is the phrase I've heard repeatedly. It's an honor to have been invited, and I'm humbled by the fact that some of the best practicing artists in the world will be attending. This year the gathering will be taking place in Kaikohe, Northland, New Zealand or Aotearoa, as it is known by its original Maori inhabitants.

So much planning has gone into this. My dad just arrived from Sisseton to come to stay with the five kids for the two and a half weeks I will be gone. I could not do this without the love and support of my mom, Carolyn, husband Brett, sister Heather, kids (Sam, Alex and Ruby), and my co-workers Tina and Laura. It would also not be possible without the support of an artist grant from the Potlatch Fund, which I am so grateful to have received.

I will be taking part in the clay workshops and will be using this blog to document what I learn through this process. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment